Typically, people get stuck because they can't figure out what they really want:
- What do I want to be when I grow up?
- What do I want my next job to be like?
- What do I want to do about this issue at work?
- What do I want to do on my next vacation?
Sometimes, though, this issue is not so much about what to choose as it is about choosing to choose:
- Should I accept this new job offer?
- Should I push back on my boss?
- Should I go back to school?
- Should I exercise today?
- Should I pitch it all and just chase my dream?
With this, you probably know exactly what choice you want to make, but something's holding you back. And that something is almost always fear:
- Fear of it being too difficult (or you thinking that maybe you're not good enough)
- Fear of it being too different (or you feeling that it will take you too far outside of your comfort zone)
- Fear of it being too dicey (or you believing that you can't recoup if things don't go right)
When fear keeps us from making foolish choices , fear is good. But when fear keeps us from owning our own lives, well, that's an entirely different matter.
Only you can choose what's right for you. But it's your responsibility to choose, even if your choice is to defer the decision for a period of time, or to gather more information so that you can choose more wisely. After all, choosing not to choose is a choice, too, you know.
But not choosing, simply because you're too afraid to choose, is not what you want to do - it's not who you want to be. So step into the fear, step through it, and step out the other side, so you can choose, whatever you choose to choose.
Labels: Life Coach - Life Coaching, Success at Work